Sunday, April 12, 2009

The lamb cake

As I mentioned on the air last week, we have a tradition in our family of having a lamb cake after each Easter dinner. No, it's not cake made from real lamb, it's a pound cake that is baked in a mold to look like a lamb. I'm sure it has some sort of symbolism, but as far back as I can remember our family just chops up this poor little lamb each year for dessert. Most years, the lamb is decorated with shaved coconut in an effort to look like a real lamb, but it actually resembles some sort of dog like creature. This year, I decided to go with chocolate. And, in hopes of freaking everyone out, I filled it with raspberry jelly so the lamb would look like it's bleeding when it was cut open. Hey, if I have to be a part of this tradition by baking some strange animal shaped cake I might as well make it memorable!

6 comments:

  1. Had it been smoking pot before you chopped it in half, the eyes are a bit bloodshot.
    I had been waiting to see you post the pics. It is one funny looking lamb, never seen one like that before. You could have added some twizzlers and jelly beans and made some organs and intestines. But not too bad, looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self : File this in Boris' psychological profile and refer to it on the day when he is standing out on a building ledge naked shooting off Roman Candles and singing It's raining Men

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scary thing is my family has the same lamb mold. It is made of metal and heavy. If you do not grease the pan peroperly, the cake will stick to the mold and you will have a noseless lamb cake. Nothing says fun like a noseless lamb cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha.. we have a lamb made out of butter every Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "noseless lamb cake"

    Three words I never thought I'd hear together...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We too have the lamb cake mold in our family, filling it with red jelly...brilliant, maybe next year I will volunteer to bake it!

    ReplyDelete

Boris wants to hear what you have to say!
There's no need to register or sign up to post your comment. Just choose the option "Name/URL" in the drop down box next to "Comment as:" and write away! (You can leave the URL blank if you'd like)